Frequently Asked Questions
What is Coaching?
- Coaching is an ongoing professional relationship, designed to use the clients thought processes to outline certain goals.
- Once goals have been determined, strategies for achieving those goals are determined.
- Coaching involves all areas of your life, e.g. work, finances, health, relationships, education, recreational- and spiritual life, life style management, etc.
- The coaching process helps to identify what is important, brings clarity, identifies obstacles, promotes action and provides greater awareness of results.
What Coaching Is NOT
- Coaching is not therapy or counselling, which deals with past events and how they relate to your thoughts in the present.
- Coaching focuses on the present and future and is oriented towards moving the client forward.
- Coaching is not mentoring, consulting or advice giving.
- Coaching does not offer recommendations or solutions to problems, but rather works with the client in utilising his/her own knowledge and wisdom to find workable solutions.
- A more balanced life. The coach works on all major areas of your life.
- Clarity or a fresh perspective on a situation. Discovering what is truly important in your life.
- Achieving goals you could never reach on your own.
- Implementing change faster than you would be able to do on your own.
- Relationship enhancement.
- Unlocking your potential, finding the purpose of your life and become what God destined you to be.
The Role Of Your Coach Is To
- Create a safe environment in which you can think creatively and constructively without the fear of criticism, judgement or failure.
- Help you to sort through your goals and dreams, to clarify where you are, where you want to go and then help you set manageable and achievable action steps to reach a realistic goal.
- Provide a fresh perspective. Sometimes this is just what you need, fresh eyes to look at your situation and help you decide what step to take next.
- Support you in your decisions, not make them for you.
- Provide accountability. When one knows that someone will be asking you how you are progressing with your action steps, it encourages you to work on them.
I Am Coaching Towards
- A life of meaning, fulfilment and success. To achieve that you need to know your values and understand your behaviour, your strengths and weaknesses.
- Forward movement in order to accomplish your goals or dreams.
- Prevention of burnout. Take control of your life. Live a healthy balanced life.
The Role Of The Client Is To
- Supply the agenda or topic of discussion.
- Take coaching seriously with an attitude of honesty, truth, willingness and commitment.
- Devote the time and effort needed for change.
- Use the coaching process to find meaningful goals and decide how to approach and handle issues. You are responsible for your own feelings, decisions and actions.
- Be willing to take action, make changes, confront and stretch beyond comfort zones
- Try to invest in new ideas, as you are responsible for your own success.
- What You Can Expect From Me As Your Coach
- Trust and integrity.
- High ethical standards.
- A non judgemental attitude.
- The belief that inside every individual there is an answer that is unique and specific to his/her situation.
- The belief that our values are the blue-print for our choices. Our values influence our lives on a daily basis.
- The belief that we can live our dreams… that we need to reach beyond our perceived limitations and make things happen. Ideas never come to fruition without action.
- The belief in a balanced life. All aspects of our lives deserve attention, and we need to prioritise according to our commitments and desires.
- The belief that we have a choice in every situation. Life happens to all of us and how we respond is our choice, as so aptly illustrated by the following quotation: “We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust our sails”.
The Way I Coach
- I first determine your personality and values. These are the characteristics that define us and to a great extent influence our decisions.
- When I notice a change in your manner or hear a strange tone in your voice, I shall ask about it. I shall not force you to share your thoughts or feelings, but often these are the times when issues are resolved.
- I am honest and direct, and listen to what you say. I shall attempt to reflect your thoughts and feelings.
- I make use of different coaching tools to help me coach more effectively in specific situations.
- At times I shall make specific requests in order to help you move forward. Requests will relate to the achievement of your goals. I shall expect you to carry out these requests to the best of your ability.
What I Shall Expect From You To Get The Most Out Of Coaching
- Be clear regarding your goals and what you want.
- Be truthful.
- Be prepared to learn and grow from new discoveries about yourself.
- Be willing to try new things and different approaches.
- Be committed to your decisions and do your homework.
I had the wonderful opportunity to pour my heartaches, troubles, worries and concerns out to a gentle person that listened with compassion and true interest in my wellbeing.
– SV, Widow and mother of two teenage boys